Many South Africans have been hit hard by the increasing electricity costs and are now searching for ways to reduce their energy consumption. Below we have listed a number of ways on how to save electricity and bring save your money. Most of these ideas are very simple and everyone is fully aware of them but how many of you actually use them?
- Turn off your geyser during times when no one is using it. Read more on how to save electricity with your geyser.
- Change all your bulbs to energy efficient bulbs. They may be slightly more expensive but last a lot longer while saving electricity.
- Shower instead of bath.
- When shaving in the shower, reduce the pressure of the water.
- Switch off ALL lights at night – the kids will not only get over their fears eventually but you will save a lot of money!
- Switch off your computer instead of letting it go into standby mode.
- Unplug appliances you are not using such as your microwave.
- Insulate hot water pipes.
- Sun dry your washing instead of using the the tumble dryer.
- Make sure you are using full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- If you can afford it, install solar panels on your roof.
- Don’t leave your fridge or freezer doors open for longer than really needed.
- Lower the temperature of your geyser.
By following these simple steps you can save more than 40% of your current electricity bill every month. For a household that produces a R900/month electricity bill, you’ll save R360 per month – a total of R4320 a year.